April 7, 2010

Getting to Know Me

So I've had my blog for a while now and I realized that I never really did a "getting to know you" type of post. I know I'm always curious about blogs I read and their lovely authors, so I figured I'd spill some secrets about the fabulous life that I live.

I grew up in Arizona right in front of a beautiful mountain. I grew up in a perfect little suburb bubble but was highly involved in my church and took many trips to impoverished places to get a taste of life outside of suburbia.

I am forever grateful for the work we did on those missions trips because they taught me the important lessons in life (the ones you don't learn in school).

I danced for 14 years and quit in high school because I joined the speech and debate team.

I kicked ass at speech and debate. I won more awards than I can count in the two years I spent on the team (most of them first and second place) and my sophomore year I even won a national tournament (go me!).

When I quit speech and debate, I reevaluated my life and started to sort out my future. I had always been certain that I would go to Arizona State University like a good little Arizonan but California seemed to be screaming my name. I started looking at schools in California (my dad and I even drove all around the state looking at 25 or 30 different state and private schools) but to no avail...

My older brother, on the other hand, had fallen into the football team at Lake Forest College just outside of Chicago. I visited him over my fall break senior year and stumbled onto the campus of Columbia College in the city. I fell in love. I knew that I needed to live in this magnificent city and Columbia seemed to be the place for me. I applied as soon as I was back in Arizona and held my breath for weeks until I got my letter of acceptance. The rest is history :). I'm in love with Chicago (who needs a man when you have a city to give you love?) and despite the cold, I have a feeling I'll be here for a while.


Other fun facts:

-I love to cook and bake. Before college I didn't know how to do either. When I moved I bought a cute apron, some vegan cookbooks, and a couple pots and pans. If you can read, you can cook. Give it a try :)

-I taught myself how to knit in middle school. I was sick and had to stay home for two weeks which, I'm sure you can imagine, was excruciatingly boring. My lovely mom bought me a knitting kit and from there I bought books, scoured the internet, and asked a few friends for help. I'm still learning and loving every minute of it. Would anyone be interested in a post about knitting tips? Maybe I'll throw one together later this week :)

-I have always loved all things crafty. It amazes me that someone is letting me go to school to turn it into a career. Who knew?!
-I have an incredible amount of determination. Once I decide to do something, I'm going to do it. I love when people tell me I'm not good enough or try to talk me out of doing something because they think I'm inadequate because it just fuels the fire. I'm extremely competitive...if you couldn't tell.
-Until the middle of my senior year of high school, I was certain that I wanted to be an interior designer. I'm still not opposed to the idea. But fashion design seemed like so much more fun.

-Although my major is fashion design, I can't sew. I'll learn soon enough, I'm sure :)

-I want to open a yarn boutique someday. When I get bored, I brainstorm layout ideas and names.

-Before I open my yarn store, I want to own a boutique that sells clothing and shoes from independent designers.

-I have two brothers, one older and one younger. They are extremely supportive of me (even though I'm definitely the black sheep of my family) and are always willing to beat up the boys who break my heart. They're great.




-I don't have too many close friends, but the ones I do have are the best friends a girl could ask for.

-I love spontaneous road trips and I hate flying.
-I don't like to run but I do it because I feel good after and I can listen to music during it.


Hmm... that's about all I can think of right now. Any questions? Ask on my formspring!! And you are always welcome to comment there with post suggestions. What do you want to read about? Is there anything I should be doing more or less of? I'd love to hear some feedback.

Also, I'd love to get to know my readers better. So if you decide to do a "getting to know you" post, leave a link in my comments and I'll be sure to check it out!

See you tomorrow :)
xoxoxo
Malori

1 notes:

Courtney

Isn't Columbia amazing? It is the only college that I applied to.

Designed by Steven Andrew.