May 31, 2011

Really Simple Linguini with Zucchini and Chickpeas


I love chickpeas. Like, really really really love them. I frequently open up 15oz cans of chickpeas, strain & rinse them, and eat them as a snack. When I was little, I called them butt beans and loved them just as much as I do now. So, whenever I see a recipe that lists these little balls of heaven as one of the title ingredients, I'm EXTREMELY likely to give it a try. Thus, Linguini with Zucchini and Chickpeas :).
Chickpea, Zucchini with Linguini
Chickpea, Zucchini with Linguini
Here's what you'll need:

-12 ounces linguine (3/4 box)
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-3 small zucchini, cut into thin half-moons
-kosher salt
-1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
-2 cloves garlic, sliced
-1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
-1/2 cup grated Parmesan (2 ounces)


Here's how to do it:

1) Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water, drain, and return the pasta to the pot.

2) Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the zucchini and 1/2 teaspoon salt.

3) Cook the zucchini, tossing often, until just tender, 4 to 5 minutes.

4) Add the chickpeas, garlic, and red pepper and cook until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes.

5) Toss the pasta with the reserved pasta water and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan.

6) Divide the pasta among bowls and top with the zucchini mixture and the remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan.
Chickpea, Zucchini with Linguini
I only altered the recipe a little bit. To make it more reheat-friendly I decided not to toss the 1/4 cup of Parmesan with the entire dish. I'm not sure if I used 12oz of linguini--I had most of a 1 lb. bag left and just used all of what I had. And I added some pepper for more flavor since I thought the dish was lacking a bit. I think the pepper realllllly helped spruce it up. I can't say this was the best thing I've ever eaten, but it does have a great fresh flavor to it. It also feels really light which is great for a springtime dish. I also love the Zucchini and, of course, my chickpeas. But the best part? It reheats like a champ. I'd say its even better on day two. So I'll probably end up making this dish again!! After all, when you're cooking larger dishes for one the ability to reheat them is KEY.

0 notes:

Designed by Steven Andrew.