August 16, 2011

Heirloom Tomato Pico De Gallo



I am LOVING all of the tomatoes that are around right now. First of all, they're GORGEOUS! Second of all, they are unbelievably delicious. I also love all of the different varieties. I've never tried many of these fancy tomatoes before so I'm having so much fun eating them. I bought a couple pounds of tomatoes from the farmers market over the weekend and whipped up some pico de gallo. It's delicious and so pretty due to all of the different colors of tomatoes. Want to make your own? Okay!

Pico De Gallo with Fresh Heirloom Tomatoes:
recipe adapted from Paul Gayler's Burgers cookbook.

Heirloom Tomato Pico de Gallo

What you'll need:
-Five or Six fresh tomatoes (depending on how large they are) chopped and deseeded
-1 small red onion or half of a large red onion
-2 serrano peppers, deseeded and chopped
-2 tbsp. fresh squeezed lime juice
-2 tbsp. freshly ground coriander
-2 tbsp. maple syrup
-1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
-Salt and Pepper to taste


How to do it:

1) Throw it all into a bowl and let it sit for an hour so that the flavors can meld. This is a recipe that gets better with time! I love the salsa on day two after the tomatoes have really had a chance to soak up the flavor!

Heirloom Tomato Pico de Gallo

I hope you love this recipe as much as I do.

xoxo
Mal

6 notes:

brlracincwgrl

I LOVE, LOVE pico!

Thank you for the recipe! Can't wait to try it!

Malori

Ashley, depending on how hot you like your pico, you might want to throw in more peppers or use a hotter variety! This is pretty mild since I wanted the flavor of the tomatoes to shine :). Good luck!

Courtney

That looks so yummy and colorful! I love your food posts. Also, I totally appreciate that it is mild. Sometimes I am a wimp.

Malori

Thanks Courtney!! It was pretty delicious :). If you are REALLY not fond of the heat, you can even substitute jalapeno peppers instead of Serrano.

Kacie - With Love

Yummy. Thanks so much. I love pico de gallo and our tomatoes are gettin' ripe.

Kacie
http://www.acollectionofpassions.com/

Malori

Kacie--I'm so jealous you have your own tomatoes. That's the dream!

Designed by Steven Andrew.