August 25, 2011

Marilyn Caused a Bit of a Stir


Marilyn Monroe Statue

"Mary Schmich gave the sculpture a scathing review. She called it 'as tawdry as a peep show,' and complained about the men walking by who were seen 'shooting photos of her crotch while one stuck out his tongue to mime a lick.'"
(source)

Marilyn Monroe Statue

You may or may not have heard about the sculpture of Marilyn Monroe from the 7-year-itch that was recently erected on Chicago's Magnificent Mile. There are tons of strong opinions about the statue so, of course, I made it a priority to go see it. How did I feel about it, you ask? I LOVED IT! I have been a huge Marilyn fan for most of my life. I've written multiple research papers on her life and even did a project in fifth grade where I dressed up like her to deliver a speech about her life. I suppose it's not all that surprising that I was really pumped up about the statue.

I took some pictures of her in all of her giant skirt-blown-up glory to share with all of you. It was SUPERRR crowded so I'll probably end up going back when the temperature drops and most of the tourists disappear. Until then, enjoy the pictures that I already took!!


Marilyn Monroe Statue

Marilyn Monroe Statue

Marilyn Monroe Statue
Chicago has the best stuff!

xoxo
Mal

4 notes:

Anonymous

that's so cool! england definitely lacks imagination when it comes to things like this!

Malori

England has a lot of really neat old stuff which America doesn't really have. So you have me beat there :)

Oliviaaa

i think it's a great statue. and think perverted men can act like that with any sort of inanimate object. ha. i would love to get out there to see it.

Malori

I completely agree Olivia haha. I think Marilyn is gorgeous :)

Designed by Steven Andrew.