March 26, 2012

Baked Doughnuts and a New Obsession

Chocolate Doughnuts with Blood Orange Glaze
Yesterday I finally had the chance to make my own baked doughnuts. My sweet friend Alex came over and watched me bake while keeping me company. When she realized my doughnuts were baked rather than fried she excitedly said, "So, they're healthy doughnuts?!?!"

Yes. Yes they are.

Okay actually they definitely aren't. But they are decadent chocolatey-orangey deliciousness. My first attempt at doughnuts was a success. I can't wait to try some new flavor combinations. But enough about that, let's talk details.
Chocolate Doughnuts with Blood Orange Glaze
Baked Chocolate Doughnuts with Blood Orange Glaze (adapted from Heather Cristo Cooks)

For the Doughnuts:
-1 1/2 cups of cake flour
-1/2 cup cocoa powder
-1 cup sugar
-2 teaspoons baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
-1 teaspoon salt
-1 cup buttermilk
-2 eggs
-2 teaspoons vanilla
-3 tablespoons melted butter


Chocolate Doughnuts with Blood Orange Glaze
For the Glaze:
-1 blood orange
-1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
-1 tablespoon heavy cream
-1 tablespoon melted butter
-1 tablespoon corn syrup

Make the Magic Happen:

1) Preheat your oven to 325 and start mixing up your dry ingredients.

2) In a separate bowl, mix your wet ingredients (vanilla, eggs, & buttermilk).

3) Incorporate the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Then mix in the melted butter. Spoon the mixture into your per-greased doughnut pan and put in the oven for 10-12 minutes. Mine took a bit longer to cook so adjust cooking time as necessary. They doughnuts are finished when they spring back after you gently press on them. When they're finished take them out of the pan and allow them to cool down.

4) While the doughnuts are cooking, prepare your glaze. Simply whisk all of the ingredients together!

5) Once your doughnuts are cool dip them in the glaze. I triple-dipped mine but I was too antsy to wait for them to cool so my glaze melted off a bit. They still taste just as delicious even if you just can't wait!!


Chocolate Doughnuts with Blood Orange Glaze
Have you ever made baked doughnuts? Eventually I'd like to try my hand at classic doughnuts as well (the lovely fried version).


xoxo
Mal

1 notes:

Kelli DeGrazier

oh my gosh those look wonderful!

Designed by Steven Andrew.