July 19, 2010

Learning how to crochet...

Yesterday I spent a few hours trying to knock out one of my 20 before 20 goals. I was feeling particularly patient and I've been a little bit obsessed with the idea of knitting (or crocheting) a blanket recently so I figured I may as well learn how to make granny squares so that someday I could make a granny square blanket!!

After learning how to make a foundation chain, I used this video to learn how to single crochet.

MASTERED!
(I didn't take a picture of this. I guess I didn't think it was an accomplishment?)

Next, I moved along to this video to learn how to double crochet.

GOT IT!

Finally, I used a tutorial from my friend Lindsay's blog to start on my very first granny square.

Here's what I have so far...


What I learned about teaching yourself to crochet (this goes for knitting as well):
1) BE PATIENT!
2) Use a needle or hook in a larger gauge because working with a smaller hook or needle (like I did) can be tough. You lose track of stitches and if you're just learning, that's no good.
3) If you already know how to knit or crochet, it seems like it's easier to learn how to do the other one.

Today I'm going to head to Joanns and get some different sized crochet hooks so I can play with them on my vacation. Say whaaat?! Vacation? That's right kids, I'm headed to california to go to a taping of So You Think You Can Dance. You may remember that my grandma has owned a dance studio in Ohio for 50 years (see here, here, and here) and that one of her dancers is currently on the show. Hey there Kent Boyd! I'm really excited to go to California and if there are any stores or restaurants I shouldn't miss while I'm in LA, let me know! I'm more than content just relaxing on the beach but I'd love to do some fun shopping.

Finally, I wanted to say thank you from the bottom of my heart to everyone who has stopped by my shop and/or promoted me this week. It honestly means the world to me (does the excitement of selling handmade goods ever wear off? I hope not) and I can never thank you enough. You are all SO wonderful. Thank you so much to my new readers and my readers who have been around since the very beginning almost a year ago now! I'm almost at 50 followers which means halfway to my triple digit giveaway! So if you read and don't follow yet, hit that little button :)!'

xoxo
Mal

9 notes:

Unknown

Ooo, congratulations! I always love learning new things. It's exciting. :)

michael ann

i just stumbled on your blog and had to tell you its so sweet! i love the yellow polka dots :] and you had better beware, granny squares are awesome, but highly addicting! haha

Danielle

Mal, I just got the earrings today and my mom and I LOVE THEM! I put pictures on my blog. I'm obsessed. Thank you SO SO SO much!

Malori

Danielle I am so glad you like them :). Thanks for stopping by!!

Samantha

im going to bookmark this for when i have some spare time to learn. also i love your nose ring :)

Malori

Thank youu!! I think it's fun for the summertime :). If you try to learn to crochet, blog about it and leave me a link to the post! I want to see :)

lexi sierra

darling girl, i'd just like to say that your blog inspires me. i love your self taught methods and creative ideas. and also, your determination.. i usually give up on everything about halfway through. this is something i'm definitely going to try.. once i get around to it. but i just wanted to tell you how spectacular i think this blog is.

Malori

Thank you so much for your sweet comment :). Things like this make my day!

Ashley Morris

Hi! Stumbled upon this cute little blog today - love it! :)

Crocheting, once you get the hang of it, is so fun and relaxing. The boyfriend tells me that he knows when I'm upset about something when I'm speeding through a blanket, scarf, etc haha. And it gets tons easier to try new things when you get used to the basics (well, I guess it's like that with anything, though).

Good luck - it looks great so far! :)

xoxo

Designed by Steven Andrew.