July 10, 2010

Make your own summer headband

Rather than selling my little headbands, I decided it would be more fun to just teach you how to make your own. Plus, I wanted to post five tutorials on here this year for one of my birthday goals so this can count towards that :).

To make one, you'll need:

-Yarn
-Double Pointed Knitting Needles in appropriate size for your yarn (read the packaging on the yarn, it'll tell ya)
-3 or 4 Buttons
-Embroidery Floss

notes:
You don't have to put buttons on this. It'd also be cute with other things attached onto it as well. Think silk flowers or rhinestones or beads! Additionally, I would recommend that you try to stay away from yarn that's super bulky. I don't think it'd make for the cutest headband. Then again, I may be wrong and it may be adorable! Finally, when I was making my tutorial, I used a scrap piece of yarn that turned out to be a LOT shorter than what I needed to the photos feature a baby sized headband. Don't be confused, yours should look a lot longer than mine does in these photos.

Step 1:
Cast on three stitches


Step 2:
Knit an I-Cord. If you don't know how to do this, there is a tutorial here (scroll down to the bottom of the page). If you don't knit, you can crochet a chain (sorry I don't know the technical crochet terms. Not my forte). Anyways, you're going to want this to be pretty long because when you tie it around your head it needs to reach! I generally make mine between 42 and 45 inches in length. Cast off.


Step 3:
Arrange your buttons however you want them to lay on the headband and use the embroidery floss to sew them on. You can experiment with placement and the amount of buttons or embellishments you use. I'm just giving you the basic tutorial :).



Step 4:
Weave in all the loose ends and tie it around your head. It's be really cute if you had a ponytail in because you can tie it in a big bow under your head!


Have fun making these little summer headbands. I feel silly offering a tutorial about this because it's so ridiculously simple. If you don't feel like making your own, let me know and I'll make one for ya! Maybe I'll post a few in my shop.

Have a great day
xoxo
Mal

4 notes:

Anonymous

I will have to make a crochet style one this week!

Anonymous

beautiful! thanks for sharing. headbands are so perfect when its so humid :/

Malori

Justine-
If you make one I want to see it :).

Cheryl-
I'm in AZ so there isn't too much humidity thank god. However, it is consistently 115 degrees out so anything to keep my a little cuter while it's pulled back is good in my book :).

Samantha

thanks so much for sharing this! I'm going to give it a try

Designed by Steven Andrew.