August 19, 2010

Does life ever slow down?

The grand opening of Jacques and Jill is scheduled for September first. That gives me exactly twelve more days of furiously knitting, photographing, pricing, describing, packaging, and preparing. It will be such a relief when the September rolls around and I can take a bit of a break but until then I feel like my life is whooshing past me!

Sadly, because knitting is consuming every waking moment in my life, I don't have many exciting things to share, but I thought I'd give you a little DIY.

A few years ago I saw the cutest envelope in the world (seriously) and when I realized it was made from a magazine I just about died. I instantly made myself a pattern and began hacking away at old magazines and making my own. If you've ever purchased something from me (or you've gotten a letter from me) then you know what I'm talking about. They're really simple to put together and make your mail about a billion times more exciting. I feel like the majority of my DIYs are realllllly simple, but oh well.



What you'll need:
-an old envelope (any shape/size)
-old magazines (or new ones I suppose...)
-scissors
-a glue stick or tape or even just regular glue if that's all you have
-a pen or pencil

1) Carefully disassemble your envelope. This is what you're going to use to make your template.
2) Lay the disassembled envelope on the cover of one of your magazines. You can also lay it over some card stock paper if you prefer. Any thicker paper will work!
3) Trace around the envelope. You'll have to be somewhat careful not to move your envelope around the paper because that will skew your template. When you're finished tracing, cut along the lines
4) You have your template! Woo! Now use this to trace over any page in the magazine that tickles your fancy.
5) After you've traced your template on a few pages and cut them out, you can fold. I feel like this is pretty self explanatory but I'll say it anyways. Where ever there was a fold on your original envelope, there should be a fold in your new magazine version.
6) Glue/tape the sides together (be sure to leave the top open so you can put your letter inside!) and you're finished!


Before I go I want to fill you in on some things that are coming up in my life:
1) The first edition of Creative Juice, a craft zine I write for (along with four other fabulous ladies) is coming out in September. It's going to be fabulous.
2) I am moving in twelve days. Twelve days, you say? Yes, I am moving the same day that my knits are going live. I'll be a big bucket of stress that day. Be glad you only have to deal with me through the computer screen.
3) Did you notice that you can now sign up for my newsletter on my side bar? If you haven't signed up yet, be sure to do so!

See you tomorrow
xo
Mal

2 notes:

Anonymous

I might try this

San

I used to make envelopes out of magazine pages ALL THE TIME.... I need to do this again. Thanks for the reminder!! ;)

I am looking forward to your newsletter and have a good move!

Designed by Steven Andrew.