August 30, 2010

Playing with Macro

If you've been following me for a while, you know that my dad got me a really wonderful camera a few months ago. I have absolutely no idea how to use it, but if I've learned anything from reading blogs, its that you don't have to be professionally trained to take great pictures (although it absolutely helps). I've been playing with it all summer. Within the past week I've been brave enough to try out some of the hand-me-down lenses my dad gifted me. So far, my favorite lenses are my macro lenses. I loveee the close up view of the world. I love the detail you can get from the photos and it's fun to frame the shots. Since it's on such an enlarged scale, everything seems much more interesting.

Over the weekend, I was making one of my favorite snacks (raspberries and blue berries with a dollop of cool whip) when I discovered something CRAZY. I am weird about my fruit so when I wash it, I generally pick out the berries one by one from the crate so that I know they aren't moldy. I was picking through my berries when all of the sudden I found this guy...

OH SWEET BABY JESUS! I had a heart attack because at first I thought he was alive. When I realized he had been dead for a while, my fear turned to intrigue and I snagged my camera. The coolest thing was that he was posed perfectly on the berry.

I had a little photo shoot with my bee friend then threw him (and his berry) away. What a crazy discovery. Have any of you ever found something ridiculous in your food? Share :)

Also, before I go, I wanted to thank everyone who participated in my giveaway. Some of you left me the sweetest comments and I've been gushing over them the whole weekend. I leave tomorrow morning for Chicago (YESSS!) but I have some posts planned. As long as I have internet I'll be able to post them for ya, if not it may be a few days before I'm back around here. If you'd like to see what I'm up to anyways, you can follow me on twitter. Please note, I'm a little more crass on twitter. Don't be offended :).

Finally, I'm not sure if any of you like when I do this, but it helps to keep me organized so I'm going to do it anways...
Shop talk:
-Jacques and Jill goes up on Wednesday (If I have internet!!)
-Since Chicago is famous for having great food, I thought I'd start a restaurant review around here. Nothing excessive, maybe two restaurants a month?
-I sent out the first newsletter yesterday. If you signed up and didn't receive it (or something else was HORRIBLY wrong with it) please let me know!
-I have a couple other blog ideas in the works. I hate doing anything weekly (besides your sugar... Which, I'll admit, I hate sometimes too) because I don't want my blog to become stale. But I have some fun occasional features that I can't wait to bring to you!

That's all for today.
-Mal

2 notes:

Anonymous

wow that's a super awesome picture! (at first i thought he was alive!)

one time we bought scones at trader joes and when we got home we realized that someone had taken a bite out of one of them - through the bag! (so that was kinda weird....needless to say, we returned it!)

Unknown

that photo is beautiful! great shot!

Designed by Steven Andrew.