October 27, 2010

Delicious Comfort Soup


Fun Fact: I was pretty inept in the kitchen until I moved to Chicago for college last year. True story. The extent of my ability in the kitchen was boiling water for pasta (which I did like a champ!). I could also bake cookies and make cakes/cupcakes/brownies from a box, but really...who can't? Anyways, when I moved into my dorm/apartment (it was HUGE and had a full kitchen) I started experimenting with various recipes. It didn't take long for me to realize how much I loved cooking. The kitchen was a safe place and food is pretty comforting for a young student braving her first winter. Whenever I was having a stressful week, I'd pick out a recipe and cook for a while. My fantastic older brother bought me a cookbook for my birthday last year and the first recipe I made out of it remains my favorite. I don't think I've ever posted about it before so I wanted to share!!

Sausage and Bean Ragout
from Campbell's Kitchen Recipe Collection
Sausage and Bean Ragout
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound ground beef
1 pound hot italian pork sausage, casing removed
1 large onion chopped (about 1 cup)
4 cloves garlic (minced)
3 1/2 cups Chicken Broth
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
2 cans (14 1/2 oz each) diced tomatoes seasoned with garlic, oregano, and basil
1 can (15 oz) white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
1 bag (6 oz) baby spinach leaves, washed
1/2 cup grated romano cheese
Sausage and Bean Ragout
1) Heat the oil in a 6-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the beef, sausage, and onion and cook until the meats are well browned, stirring frequently to break up meat. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, drain off any fat.
2) Stir the broth, basil, tomatoes, and beans into the saucepan. Heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the macaroni and cook until the macaroni is tender but still firm, stirring occasionally.
3) Add the spinach and cook just until spinach wilts, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese. Serve with additional cheese, if desired.

That's it, kids! It's so delicious, really easy to make, and reheats like a champ. It makes a lot but the leftovers are fabulous.

Advertise
In other news...
The blog is about to get a HUGE face-lift and I'm going to start offering sponsorship opportunities. To begin I'll only have ten slots 4 large sponsors ($10 for one month) and 6 small sponsors ($5 for one month). It would be a fantastic way to advertise and it's SO affordable. Email me if you are interested! SundayMorningSugar@yahoo.com.

1 notes:

brlracincwgrl

What a fabulous looking recipe! :). Perfect for a cold wintry day!

Designed by Steven Andrew.