October 4, 2010

I did it myself!

Today after class, laundry, lunch, and some reading I decided to tackle a project I've been wanting to try out for a while. A do it yourself project. And you know what? I did it... Myself...

I'm sure you've seen felted soap all around (Anthropologie comes right to mind) and have probably run across DIY instructions for this loofa-like treat. Well I found one a while ago and decided to give it a try. To follow the directions I used, head on over to Wit and Whistle.
IMG_2208
Instead of using Dove soap, I bought some Honey and Oatmeal soap from Trader Joe's. It smells like heaven. I'm not exaggerating. If you like oatmeal cookies you'll LOVE the way this soap smells. The only other thing you need is the wool to felt. I bought some lemon yellow merino wool roving from my local Vogue Fabric store.

After about 10 minutes of furiously rubbing the wool (I felt like I was manically petting a sheep...) I had had enough. Maybe I'm a felting amateur or I just don't have enough patience but I decided to call it quits and just go with what I had. Mine doesn't look quite as pretty as the ones over at Wit and Whistle but it'll do the job. I would give you tips but since I basically failed I don't think my advice would take you too far.
IMG_2209
Also, if you've been keeping track, you've noticed that I've completed yet another goal on my 20 before 20 list. Sadly, I won't be able to tackle a few of my goals (like my 50 book goal. But I'm halfway!!). My birthday is in less than two weeks so I'm putting the finishing touches on my goals for next year. I'm trying to make more measurable goals this year because it's difficult to cross things like "be happier" off my list.

Have a lovely day!!
xo
Mal

0 notes:

Designed by Steven Andrew.