On Sunday night I bought all the ingredents to make some Saucy Sausage Stuffed Squash. When I started cooking and things weren't going my way, I decided to revamp the recipe and make it my own. So now, with a new name and flavor (I'm assuming), I present my version of this stuffed squash recipe!
What you'll need:
-3-4 tablespoons of tomato sauce
-1 lb. of hot italian sausage
-two roma tomatoes, diced
-3 yellow squash, diced
-1 zucchini, diced
-salt and pepper to taste
What to do:
1) Cut the squash and zucchini length-wise and scoop out the insides. Set the skin aside and dice the innards.
2) Combine the sausage, squash, and zucchini in a skillet on medium high until the sausage is cooked.
3) Add the diced tomato and tomato sauce to the mixture in the skillet and cook for another two minutes. Reduce heat to low
4) Place the shells face down in a skillet with a few tablespoons of water. Cover and cook on medium-high for two minutes, flip them over and cook for another two minutes until tender.
5) Fill the shells with your sausage mixture and heat for another minute or two.
6) Enjoy! I found this recipe to be realllly delicious. There are also a lot of other things you can throw on depending on your taste preferences. Off the top of my head, I think some sort of grain like quinoa would be a fun addition. You could also throw in more veggies (eggplant!).
I promise I have a real post coming tomorrow. These past few weeks have been absolutely exhausting and it's a wonder I've found time to post at all!!