March 4, 2011

Reading Rainbow


Ah I'm back again with another crop of books that I've read recently. As always, you can keep track of my reads on my Books You Should Read page (clever title, righttt?!). So here goes :).

The Lovely Bones By: Alice Sebold
I feel the need to give some background on my history with this book. I first bought it in 7th grade at the Scholastic warehouse book clearance (BEST THING EVER). I read the first hundred pages or so in a day and had the most horrific nightmares for like a month. I was so terrified of it that I ended up giving it to my friend Courtney just so I could get it out of my house. Yes. That scared. Then, my junior year of high school I found it at goodwill and decided to give it another try. I read about 200 pages of it and my friend Luke borrowed it for a long plane ride. He didn't give it back for a year. So recently I tried one last time to pick it up and I'm so glad I did. While I still think it's absolutely terrifying, I also think it is a wonderfully composed novel. I laughed, I cried, I was frightened beyond all belief. This is a must read. And once you read it, you should watch the movie because they did a fantastic job adapting it :).

I was Told There'd Be Cake By: Sloane Crosley
This book was recommended to me by my English teacher during my senior year of high school. I found this bad boy at goodwill ($1) and it has been on my shelf for a long time. I finally decided to read it and, of course, fell in love. I was literally laughing out loud through a lot of this book. My favorite essay by far deals with Sloane's experience volunteering at a butterfly exhibit in a museum. If you want a good laugh, this is a great book to go to. Thanks D-Boggs :).

Animal Farm By: George Orwell
Interestingly enough, I had to read an Essay by Orwell for my lit class last week so the timing of finishing this book was great. I read it in one day and loved it. This book is really powerful! A true classic. I know a lot of people had to read it at some point during their school career and probably hate it for that reason but I really enjoyed it.

I'm almost done with another two books so I'm sure I'll be posting another segment of Reading Rainbow soon enough :). What are you all reading right now? Anything wonderful that I should get my hands on?

xoxo
Mal

5 notes:

Ashley

I've read the first two and loved them both! So SO good! Sloane Crosley CRACKS ME UP! I want to read her new book too!

Chrissy

I love Lovely Bones and the movie as well! Both brought me to tears really bad...lovd the sentence "I was here for a while and then I was gone...", so powerful!
Thanks for sharing! And, sorry I never replied to your email! I loved sponsoring your blog and doing the guest post...everything was perfect - thank you again so much! Anytime again!!! Hugs xxx

Danielle

I love George Orwell. I read Animal Farm in 7th grade, so I'm thinking about picking it up again. :) I'm currently reading a baking memoir for my culinary class called: My Life from Scratch. It's really good so far.

I just replied to your email about the sponsorship last month, I'm so sorry it was late. I've been crazy busy!! :(
xoxo

Sarah

I loved "I Was Told There'd Be Cake" also, how awesome is that title? Right now I reading "Jane Eyre" before the movie comes out- it's Gothic literature at its finest, totally recommend!

Jessi

loved the lovely bones!

Designed by Steven Andrew.