May 25, 2011

The Happiness Project


If you follow me on Twitter, you probably noticed my incessant tweets about The Happiness Project. As I was reading this fabulous book, I wanted so badly to get started on my own happiness project but I thought it would be best to finish the book first :). I also could hardly wait to share the book with all of you!


First things first, my review :):
I truly enjoyed this book. I found it to be completely inspirational (as you'll see here on the blog) and a really easy read. The book chronicles a year in Gretchen Rubin's life where she set resolutions for herself that led to a happier life. This book is really similar to many of the other one-year-project books out there (like eat, pray love) but I connected with it SO MUCH MORE. Why? You ask. Because Gretchen didn't go on an exotic journey, sell all of her belongings and live in a cardboard box, quit her job and travel to a remote location for an extended period of time, or anything else drastic. Each change she made to her life was small, quantitative, and occurred all within the confines of her already-established life. I love the idea of using what you've got and making yourself happier. After all, not all of us can afford to leave our lives behind and take a long journey to find ourselves...right?

So that brings me back to my own little happiness project :). I was so inspired by her book that I decided to give it a try. I'm not particular unhappy, but I'm also not living every day to the happiest! I often let bad moods consume my day and I frequently make the choice to be sarcastic and closed off instead of being vulnerable. I'm still working on my own list of resolutions but I thought I'd kick things off in the same way as Gretchen did in her novel! So, I've been clearing out the clutter in my life! I started in my closet, moved to the hall closet, then took care of my bathroom. Next I'm tackling my book shelf and my desk. I'll probably finish off the clutter-clearing with my computer. It's surprising how hard it is to get rid of the clutter in your life! Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but I tend to get really attached to objects/clothes/books/etc.

What are your best clutter-clearing tips? Do you have trouble getting rid of things too? I'd love to hear about your experiences!

I also wanted to see if any of you have read this book. If so, how do you feel about it? Have you ever implemented resolutions for happiness into your life? Please share!!

It's back to cleaning for me...

xoxo
Mal

16 notes:

Donna's Decembers

Holy crap! I read this book within 24 hours while I was in San Francisco last week! I was just sitting down to blog about it! CRAZY!

Courtney

I can't believe I have never heard of this book! It seems amazing-I hope that my library has it. I've just been thinking about the life I have and the life that I want to live and this seems to coincide with it so well. I wish you had before and afters of the clutter to show us, that would be so interesting.

Malori

Liz--Isn't it the BEST!? I'm so glad you felt it was as great as I did :)!!

Courtney--I do have some before and afters! Its not a HUGE difference but I definitely feel like things have changed for the better :).

camille yanair

i'm def gonna see if i can get a copy of this, it seems amazing! happy wednesday!

Malori

Camille--I highly recommend it :). I hope you have a happy wednesday too!!

Alex

this sounds like such a great read. right now we are moving and I am trying to declutter as we pack. it's so difficult to let go of things. but then I think back and tell myself its the memories not the stuff that counts.

Malori

Alex--Moving is the perfect time to declutter!! I'll be posting my tips and advice later this week :). I agree though, the memories are more important than the actual objects.

Mom'sLove

Hi Mal, I'm baaaack!
one tip I use to de-clutter, if I have not worn or use in over a year, its gone. Not books, though, I keep em...
And I will be checking out this book...
Thanks for the 'tip'.
Amanda

Kenzie

I *just* saw this book at borders and was totally going to pick it up but wasn't sure. I'm so glad you liked it! I'm going to have to get it now... :)

Unknown

I absolutely loved this book. I really enjoyed the tone and voice, and it was quite inspirational.

Another similar style book, with more a wacky-extravagant note to it is A.J Jacobs' book the Year of Living Biblically. (Hilarious!) I definitely recommend you check it out.

Anonymous

I'm going to have to buy this book now, it looks awesome!

brlracincwgrl

This book was simply amazing! I actually want to go back and re read it and attempt to implement some of my own resolutions!

Angie - SewIThought

Well I'm inspired...just just bought this off Amazon!

Malori

Amanda--that's a great rule of thumb! I try to go by that but I generally can't remember if its been a year so my new rule is if I can't remember its probably been too long.

Kenzie--I'm not going to lie. I bought it because I liked the cover. I'm glad it turned out to be a great read ;)

Emma--I'll have to check it out! It's officially added to my book list :)

Kate--I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. It's really an inspiration

Brlacincwgrl--You need to refresh me on your name :). If you do start with some happiness resolutions, be sure to let me know so I can see what you're up to!!

Malori

Angie--it's a great book to read post-break up. I'm going through some man-related struggles right now and it helped me so much. A great way to keep everything positive!

brlracincwgrl

My name is Ashley! :).

Designed by Steven Andrew.