September 15, 2011

Nectarine Raspberry Cobbler



I am about to bring you a seriously delicious treat that came from an accident. But first? Some facts.

Fact: I like peaches
Fact: I don't think I've ever eaten a Nectarine
Fact: Trader Joe is a sneaky sneaky man

Alright, now that we have all of our facts straight, I can share a story. My dad and I were grocery shopping a few weeks ago and I saw a whole bunch of peaches in these cute baskets. I was SO excited both for the basket and also for the fragrant peaches inside of them. I snagged one off the pile but when I got home I realized I had made a horrible mistake... I bought nectarines.

At first, I was heartbroken. I wanted peaches, not these crazy nectarines. My sadness quickly turned into anger. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THIS CRAZY PEACH-LIKE FRUIT IS! Then I decided to blame Trader Joe for putting such similar looking fruits in the same freaking place. How easy to make a mistake. Joe, you're a jerk....

Rather than wallowing in my sadness, I decided to make lemonade (ya know, when life gives you lemons..blahblahblah). Actually, I started to google recipes for nectarines and one of the first ones that showed up was nectarine cobbler. I was sold. I decided to tweak it a little bit and I'm so glad I did. This cobbler is delicious and the raspberries add just enough of a bite to keep my tongue happy :).

nectarine/raspberry cobbler

Nectarine, Raspberry Cobbler
adapted from the Food Network


Ingredients
Filling:

3 cups sliced nectarines
1 1/2 cups raspberries
1/2 cup cold water
1/3 cup unpacked light brown sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Topping:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup milk
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened

Garnish:

Cinnamon sugar for sprinkling

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

To prepare the topping: In a medium-size bowl, stir together the flour, the sugar, and the baking powder. Add the milk and the butter and beat until smooth.

To prepare the filling: In a large saucepan, combine all the ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly, about 5-10 minutes. Pour into an ungreased 13x9-inch glass baking dish. Spoon the topping over the filling and spread carefully and evenly with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake 30-40 minutes or until topping is lightly golden and a cake tester inserted into the center of topping comes out clean.

nectarine/raspberry cobbler

That's it!! It was delicious and got my friend Ben's stamp of approval. Make it while there is still some fresh fruit out there!! Or you can bookmark it for next summer :).

Enjoy, my friends!

xoxo
Mal

3 notes:

ilene @ muchloveilly

forget summer - i think i need to make this NOW! :)

naomi:

ohhh my this looks amazing. nectarines and raspberries are possibly my most favorite fruits ever. did you end up liking the nectarines? i think they're better than peaches!

Malori

Ilene-- DOOOO IT. I don't think cobbler has a season and I intend on making this with whatever fresh fruit I can get my hands on. Enjoy it!

Naomi-- I did end up liking them! I thought they pretty much tasted exactly the same as peaches...

Designed by Steven Andrew.