November 27, 2011

Facts about Women


“Fifteen to eighteen percent of girls under twelve now wear mascara, eyeliner and lipstick regularly; eating disorders are up and self-esteem is down; and twenty-five percent of young American women would rather win America’s Next Top Model than the Nobel Peace Prize. Even bright, successful college women say they’d rather be hot than smart. A Miami mom just died from cosmetic surgery, leaving behind two teenagers. This keeps happening, and it breaks my heart. Teaching girls that their appearance is the first thing you notice tells them that looks are more important than anything. It sets them up for dieting at age 5 and foundation at age 11 and boob jobs at 17 and Botox at 23. As our cultural imperative for girls to be hot 24/7 has become the new normal, American women have become increasingly unhappy. What’s missing? A life of meaning, a life of ideas and reading books and being valued for our thoughts and accomplishments.” — “How To Talk To Little Girls” by Lisa Bloom.
(Via Renee Yohe)


I took a little bit of a different direction for the quote this Sunday. I found this quote earlier in the week and haven't stopped thinking about it since. I used an image of a friend of mine who is beautiful from the inside out. She is so confident and truly lives a life of meaning. I think it's comforting to know that some girls know what's up. Something to think about this Sunday!

xo
Mal

2 notes:

Rae

Wow. Boob jobs at 17! I didn't even know you could get plastic surgery before 18. xo, rv

http://aneclecticheap.blogspot.com/

Courtney

This is something that is so scary to me and I don't even have or want kids. However, I can see things like that very slowly starting to impact my niece. She always wants her nails painted and loves to wear play makeup. I have a hard time with her because I want her to love these things (because I LOVE these things!) but it is important to me to talk to her about esteem and the reasons she wants to do these things. Right now she is so young she just wants to copy the things that my sister (her mom) and I do and wear and I understand that but I make my best effort to tell her how smart and creative she is over how beautiful she is. I hope that this will stick inside her mind when she begins school and starts to get older...

Designed by Steven Andrew.