January 25, 2012

Back in the day...


I've mentioned in the past that I have kept a blog in some form or another since I was in middle school. Recently I've been reading back through old posts and I found one that I wrote my freshman year of high school. For some reason, it really resonated with me so I thought I'd share it with all of you. Maybe I have some younger readers that can still take advantage of the advice I gave myself back in the day...

(a picture of me from around the time I wrote this post!)

"September 20th 2005

First things first...high school
Everyone I talk to hates it. I read people's livejournals or talk to them and they don't like it at all. I remember how in middle school I felt like I was really immature. But I've just recently realized why I felt that way. Everyone around me in middle school acted really grown up. They hung out with high-schoolers and they thought they were the shit. I always felt really left out at [middle school] and I had some really hard times because I never really had any true friends. I remember middle school as a time of cliques and first boyfriends/kisses and other stuff like that. I was never a part of a clique and I can't remember a time when I wanted to be. I never had a boyfriend and I've still never been kissed, but it doesn't matter to me.

I feel like everyone around me rushed through life, going as far as they could as soon as possible. Drugs, drinking, partying, going way too far with their boyfriends/girlfriends. I can honestly say I never felt the pull to do anything like that. When peple get old they look back at their childhood and think "God...I really wish I wouldn't have taken my life for granted". I just try my hardest every day to be immature, silly, laugh at stupid things, be random, etc. because I know someday I'll look back and I want to be able to say, "Oh my god I'm so lucky to have cherished my childhood."

I think the reason everyone hates high school so much is because they were there too early. They wanted so badly to be the person they pretended to be but once they got their wish it wasn't as exciting as they thought it would be."


I'm happy to say that even though my childhood isn't very far behind me that I really do feel lucky to have had this attitude about growing up. I think the younger generation is trying too hard to grow up when really life is all about the journey. The older I get, the more I realize that adulthood isn't so much a final destination. Rather, you encounter new challenges and continue growing as you age. Whenever I feel like I'm trying to rush through a stage of my life I want to be able to slow down, breathe, and enjoy the ride. How about you?

2 notes:

Anonymous

I love that attitude and the last sentence because I'd swear it was true.
God, I'd rather not read my own posts, they were so whiny. :\

Malori

Ah don't let me fool you! SOOOOO many of my posts were whiny and embarrassing beyond all reason. This was just a gem in the midst of all my angst ;)

Designed by Steven Andrew.