April 19, 2010

Knitting Tips and Tricks!

Finally!! The much anticipated knitting tips and tricks post. I know that a lot of people think it's complicated and scary but it's really pretty simple. And, once you know how to knit and purl you can make thousands of cool projects.

First things first:
Most people who are learning how to knit start with a simple project, like a scarf. This is, in my opinion, the easiest thing to knit because you can use the knit stitch throughout the whole project and you just knit in a straight line.

I taught myself how to knit using the lovely resources available online and reading as many books as I could get my hands on. What I've found along the way is that some places are MUCH more helpful than others and finding the good resources can be pretty difficult.

If you're looking for websites and blogs, these are a few of my favorites...



Knitting Help

Seems so simple right? There is a tutorial on this site for just about every knitting problem you'll ever run into. Every time I run into a particularly difficult dilemma, I hop on over to this site and generally find help right away.


You Tube
Again, seems like an obvious answer. But some people completely overlook it so I feel like I should point it out. I knew about youtube long before I knew about knitting help and I would say that it can be just as helpful. Lovely knitters everywhere are uploading videos to help you with your problems. Take advantage!


purl bee
This knitting (and crochet/sewing) blog has some really nice step by step tutorials. They also have a BUNCH of cute/fun projects you can try as you hone your knitting skills. I love this blog :).


Ravelry
This is a great community for knitters and crocheters. You can upload patterns, search for free patterns, and connect with other knitters. Buying patterns can get REALLY expensive so it's always great to find a place that can offer you free goodies!



Wool and the Gang

This site is great, and not just because of the name. It has some tutorials for beginning knitters and also offers kits for fun projects. I love the clean format of the site and the easy navigation.

If you're not so good with the internet, books are definitely the way to go when teaching yourself any new skill. Like I said, some books are a lot more helpful than others. The books that have helped me the most are ones that have a lot of pictures. Sometimes just seeing the way to hold something is more helpful than a whole chapter of text on how to do the same thing.



Knit 101
This has been my favorite book. It has projects for both knitting and crochet that teach you a lot of the important basics. It starts with really simple projects and slowly gets more complicated as the book goes on. It's definitely not the most helpful book on the market but for some reason it really worked for me.

Obviously, your local knitting store is going to be a great help as well. If you think you don't have a local knitting store, you're probably wrong! At least I was :). I feel like this goes without saying, but a simple google search will help you find a store in your area. If you live in Chicago, you can try two of my favorite stores! I also have a store recommendation for anyone who lives in Phoenix.



Loopy Yarn

It's pretty pricey but they have a great selection of yarn. Most of the staff is helpful but sometimes I get overlooked because I'm a young knitter. I feel like they don't always take me seriously and they definitely offer help to older knitters before they chat with me while I'm in the store. If you're feisty though, you should have no problem getting what you need from them. I'm pretty fearless so when I go in with a knitting question I can usually scrounge up an answer :).


Nina Knitting
I'll be honest. I've only been to this store once, but I left with SUCH a positive impression that I daydream about going back constantly. The staff was extremely friendly, the classes teach you how to make interesting projects, and they offer a great selection of yarns. I'm also obsessed with the overall layout of the store. I think it has a really modern feel to it which is great because knitting is often viewed as a hobby for grandmothers.


Knit Happens
This is such a cute store. The staff is helpful, the fibers are fantastic, and the layout is easy to navigate. They also have an impressive selection of books. It's a really great place to be for Arizona knitters!


Once you master the knit and purl stitches you're ready to get started on some fun projects. I wanted to give you some of the sources I use to find my patterns. Also, don't be afraid to try and create your own patterns! It can be fun :).

Spud and Chloe

Knit Picks


The Harmony Guides: Knit & Purl: 250 Stitches to Knit



Twinkle's Weekend Knits


Knitted Toys

I hope that this was somewhat helpful for you. I shared all my big secrets :)
Most pictures courtesy of weheartit.

xoxoxo
Malori

3 notes:

Jess

Thank you for sharing this. I'm feeling all inspired to pick up the needles again. Hope your week got off to a good start.

mel

thanks too!
i am still in the rectangular stage (via a youtube vid) but it's nice to know where to go next :)

brlracincwgrl

Thank you so much for sharing this! I've been wanting to learn how to knit for quite sometime, but was always intimidated by it. You make it sound simple! :)

Designed by Steven Andrew.