November 17, 2010

Body Image


On Monday in my Nutrition class we talked about weight issues. We discussed psychological effects of weight problems (either overweight or underweight) and then our professor asked us to write down three things we liked about ourselves and share them with a neighbor. Immediately there were groans all around the room and people saying that it's "awkward" and "impossible" to write good things about themselves. I had no problem writing my three positives (I could probably fill a notebook with things I like about myself!). I feel like it's probably apparent on my blog that I don't have a whole lot of self image issues. I really like the way I look and I can always find something positive to say about myself. I like to say that you should never say something about yourself that would hurt if it were coming from another person. For some reason it's completely socially acceptable to belittle yourself. It's normal for people to openly discuss how unattractive they are but it's frowned upon to speak about yourself in a positive manner. No wonder we feel so bad about ourselves! It's almost like you aren't allowed to feel good! I thought that I'd write about this here and extend a challenge to my readers.

First: I want you to write three things you like about yourself. I can be anything! Do you like that you're brave enough to wear purple shoes every day of the year? Awesome. Tell me about it!

Second: I want you to link your blog post to three other bloggers and challenge them to write good things about themselves as well.

Last: If you take part in this challenge, link back to me so I can see what you say! It's time for us to take control of our self-esteem and the best way to do that is to remind ourselves that we're pretty great.

Here's mine:

1) I like my eyes. I think that they're really pretty and I love that blue eyes are somewhat uncommon.
2) I think I'm really funny. I like that I have a good sense of humor and can generally let the little things go.
3) I've got an ass that just won't quit. It's really out of control ;)

I'd love to see the following ladies participate:
Ilene over at Much Love, Illy
Samantha over at Indie and Chic
Danielle over at Black and Bows

Even if I didn't link to you, you should absolutely still participate!
Can't wait to see what you all have to say!!
xo
Mal

image found here

2 notes:

Mom'sLove

I don't have a blog but I wanna particpate!
I love my toes!
Like yours, my ass won't quit and damn proud!
I have great hair, natural curly and I can make it straight. Use to hate it but grew to learn to love.
GREAT post!
Amanda

Danielle

http://blackandbows.blogspot.com/2010/11/wednesday.html

This post was perfect. Seriously, I was so down on myself ALL morning. Thanks for tagging me, Mal! Have a fab day. :)

<3 - Danielle

Designed by Steven Andrew.