November 15, 2010

Real Simple


I have been cooking like crazy recently AND documenting all of the yummy recipes so that I can share them with you. Today I thought I'd share a little somethin' somethin' I found in Real Simple. For those of you who think that cooking is too much of a hassle, go buy a Real Simple magazine (or browse their website) because their recipes are so easy and ridiculously delicious. I'm in charge of dessert for Thanksgiving this year and I'm helping with dinner and most of the recipes my family is using are from the November issue of this magazine. I am in love. Without further adieu...

Penne with Tomatoes, Eggplant, and Mozzarella
taken from Real Simple's October 2010 issue


What you'll need:
-1/2 pound penne (1/2 box)
-1/4 cup olive oil
-1 medium eggplant cut into 1/2in. pieces
-1/2 pound of cherry tomatoes, halved
-2 cloves of garlic, sliced
-1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
-kosher salt and black pepper
-1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/2in. pieces
-1/4 cup torn fresh mint leaves

How to do it:
1) Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking water, drain the pasta, and return it to the pot.
IMG_2933
2) Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the eggplant and cook, tossing occasionally, until golden brown and tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, garlic, red pepper, 3/4 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper and cook, tossing, until the tomatoes soften, 2 to 3 minutes more.
IMG_2936
3) Add the tomato mixture to the pasta, along with the mozzarella and reserved cooking water, and toss to combine. Sprinkle with the mint.
IMG_2944

All in all I thought this was quite tasty. The red pepper gives it a bit of kick (I have chapped lips so I cried a little but it was totally worth it) and the mint has this amazing aftertaste that is unexpected and wonderful. I'll probably make this again. I'd also like to pretend like it's pretty healthy so that's always a plus!

Enjoy!
Mal

2 notes:

ilene @ muchloveilly

i love pasta so this looks so delish!!!!

brlracincwgrl

This looks fantastic! Although, I'd probably leave out the Eggplant. Not a fan of it at all.

I love Real Simple magazine :)

Designed by Steven Andrew.