January 6, 2011

If I could change the world...


DAY ELEVEN: Post a bit of your last IM Conversation

This is weird. My IM conversations really aren't that exciting. Especially because I rarely have them. I'm choosing to opt out of this haha.

And since I didn't really do number 11, I'll double up again :).

DAY TWELVE: three things you want to change

I'm not sure how broad this question is so I'm going to just apply it to my life. So here are three things I'd like to change about myself.

1) Overcome my fears:
This is a big one, right? Except not really. I have a lot of really silly fears that stand between me and things I'd like to be doing. For example, I don't go to the gym as often as I should because I'm afraid I won't have enough time to shower when I'm finished. Another example would be that I'll avoid going out because I'm afraid we won't get back at a reasonable hour and I just don't want to take that risk. Another one, that I'm sure someone will be able to relate to, is that I won't do something creative because I know that it won't be good and I'm afraid of looking like a fool. Ridiculous, right? If I don't try, how will I get better?! I think a lot of my fears stem from a lack of control over various situations (control freak?) and most times all it takes is a deep breath to set me back on track. I've been doing my best recently to step out of my comfort zone and do things that I would usually talk myself out of. I think it's good for me to stretch my boundaries and experience some of the fun of being young :).

2) Use my time more effectively:
I'm pretty sure this goal is on everyone's list. When it comes down to it, there just aren't enough hours in a day. I set up a time management schedule for myself for this coming semester that I think will do me good. The problem is, I have a huge weakness for bloggin' (thanks a lot guys...) so I can easily lose four or more hours just browsing the internet looking at great clothes, DIY's, photos, and reading about peoples lives. It's bad news. It's also making me a more boring person because those hours could easily be spent doing something cool and exciting. I decided to try to limit myself to two hours of internet a day, one hour of blog-related activities, two hours of tv, and I'm going to try to read a little bit before bed every night. So far, the transition is going pretty well. After all, the internet seems to be sort of a time waster so when I step away from my computer I find that I have all sorts of spare time to do things I love!

3) Read more:
This was my only official new years resolution. I have a word document on my computer with about 100 books I'd like to read. I have a post-it note on my computer (loveee mac's post-its) full of more books that look appealing to me. I have a bookshelf in my room STACKED with titles that I haven't yet had the chance to indulge in. It is time that I make a conscientious effort to read more. There are SO MANY BOOKS and soooo little time. I also need to stop forcing myself to read boring books because I think it's something I should do. So I'm implementing a 100 page rule. If I hate a book after the first 100 pages, I am allowing myself to sit it down and move on to something better. On that note, does anyone have any book recommendations for me?! You know I'd love to hear about them :).

I've been reading a bunch of resolutions/goals recently. If you have made a goal post that you'd like me to see, leave your link in the comments! It's wonderful inspiration.

xo
Mal

4 notes:

Brina

I've set myself a reading challenge this year too; I'm currently reading the entire Sherlock Holmes series (lots of short one chapter stories in the first few books) and you can download them on Kindle for 99c, or pretty cheaply in print. I'm really enjoying the bite sized stories, but I know there's some longer mysteries too :)

Ashley

Oh man, I am right there with you on the books! I have at least 20 on my bookshelf that I haven't even had a chance to touch yet! Sometimes I worry that I will never get to read all of the books I want to read!

Unknown

I totally feel you with finishing books that suck! I always feel guilty if I read it for a bit and then put it away, because I feel like I've already invested that much time into it so I should just finish it. Good luck with your reading goal!

strawberrygirl

true.
maybe 50 books near my bed.
I've started different ones, and other ones are there looking at me.
I MUST read them before the end of 2011.

Designed by Steven Andrew.