March 31, 2011

Big Announcement Day!


So I've thought a lot about how to announce this news is a grandiose fashion but nothing seems quite right so my new game plan is to just say it :).



Ready?



Are you sure?




I'M GRADUATING A YEAR EARLY!!


I was doing some homework with my friend Ben back in January when I decided it'd be fun to see where I am with my credits and what my future class schedules were going to look like. I am currently taking six classes and working 20-25 hours a week at a part time job which is overwhelming at times but generally pretty wonderful. As I was looking over the classes I still needed to complete, I realized that if I took some classes over the summer and kept up my rigorous 6 course workload in the fall and spring of next year that I would be able to be done a year early. This. Is. Amazing.

For those who don't know, I go to a private art school in Chicago (Columbia College) and there is not a lot of financial aid for the students here. In spite of my fabulous GPA in high school and a slew of teacher recommendations along with good SAT scores and the like, I was not able to secure any sort of a scholarship for school. Soooo it's all coming out of my family's pocket (and a bit from loans). The ability to graduate a year early is such a blessing. With all of the money I'm going to save, I really don't see any reason to stay an extra year when I don't need to do so.

As I've been spreading the news, a lot of people have been asking me what I plan to do after I graduate. This is such a huge question because up until a month or so ago, I thought I had two years to figure out my post-graduate plans. Right now I'm thinking about a couple options that seem the best for me, but you never truly know what the future holds.

I'm so excited to have this opportunity and even more excited to have all of you to share it with.

xoxo
Mal

13 notes:

Simonette

congratulations! :) i always get excited in news about people being able to graduate from college. i know the feeling. and i also felt the tension of not being able to graduate, which is really sad. i'm on my post-grad course and i'm graduating a semester late, which is really annoying since, just like what you've said, school is expensive!

anyways, good luck on your upcoming career, whatever it may be. congratulations! :)

Kirsten Nunez (Studs and Pearls)

That's really exciting! Congrats, lady <3 As for post grad plans, they can be overwhelming but as you said ... you never know what will happen! xo

Danielle

Congratulations Mal. This is so awesome!! I'm really happy for you. <3 :)

xo,
Danielle

justine.

Congrats Mal!! I cannot WAIT to see what the future holds for you! <3

Sarah

Congratulations! Yay for being a super smart hard worker!

Courtney

Awesome! That is EXACTLY what I did! I completed a 5 year photography degree in under four years! I worked in the darkroom at the school, took full course loads every semester (even the summer!) and got my shit done! I'm so happy for you! Great job!

Chrissy

Wow, awesome! Congrats girl! I am so happy for you!!! Yay!!!

Anonymous

Congratulations! That's really great! <3

Kenzie

Ah! So awesome! You're awesome now, so you'll be awesome when you graduate! And you should probably come visit me in Rhode Island when you're done, cause I'll still be in school... haha

naomi:

thats super! congratulations dear :)

Anonymous

wow! that's so exciting!!! :D
congrats! :)

Lauren

Woo hoo!! What an accomplishment!! Congratulations, though I know you've heard it so many times, but it doesn't hurt to hear it once more... really proud of you and wishing the best for you :)
-Lauren

Anonymous

That's awesome! I graduated a year early too, and I think it does wonders for your life. You can use the extra year to mess around and try silly things, or just be that much farther ahead in your career. I did have a scholarship and I still chose to leave school early, just because I don't think it prepares you for life as much as... uh... living. So congratulations to you, and be proud of all your hard work!

Designed by Steven Andrew.