July 25, 2011

I've been reading again


Ever since I finished with my summer school classes I've had SO MUCH TIME to myself. I have been loving every minute of it. I've been working really hard on redecorating my apartment (I can't wait to share!), doing tons of crafty stuff, and reading like crazyyy. As usual, I wanted to share :).

Love Walked In
I really liked this book! I've had it for a long time and I originally picked it up from goodwill because a friend of mine read it in high school. It's been on my shelf for a longgg time and I finally decided to pick it up. I have a bit of an aversion to romantic novels as they're often overwhelmingly cheesy so you can understand why it took me so long to finally read this. I'm really really glad that I picked it up! It is definitely NOT the story I expected. I don't know how to talk about it without giving away the story so I'll just say it's worth the read.

Push
I watched Precious earlier this year and was really itching to read the novel behind the movie. I found a copy at a thrift store earlier this summer and finally got a chance to read it (seeing a theme here?). This book was tough to get through. The story is fabulous but the way it is written is rough. If you've seen the movie, then you know the storyline, if not I will briefly fill you in. A young woman pregnant with her second child goes to an alternative school so she can learn to read and write. The book mirrors this lack of writing ability. I had to guess at a lot of the words because the spelling was so off and while the story wouldn't be as powerful if it wasn't written like that, it does make it really difficult to get through.

What have you kids been reading? I always add your suggestions to my list!

xoxo
Mal

6 notes:

Sunday

I gave "Love Walked In" a chance and I just did not want to stop reading. It's become one of my favorite books!

Malori

It's surprisingly great!!

Oliviaaa

I definitely want to try to read Push at some point. But all I've ever heard is that it is the most depressing story to read. And I'm not quite there yet!
Right now... I'm reading The Help. it's a wonderful story.

Malori

That's that movie Emma Stone is going to be in, right? I'd love to read that! And yes, Push was really a sad story but had a great spirit behind it!

Anonymous

i don't know if you're into psychology books but after i saw you liked Unhooked i thought you may be interested in a book called Personality by Daniel Nettle - i've just started it, it's looking good!

Malori

I do like psychology books! I have to space out when I read them because I also love books with a great story but I'll definitely add that one to my list :)

Designed by Steven Andrew.