October 4, 2011

Good Reads


Even though school started recently I'm still finding the time to read books for fun. Probably because I'm not really reading many textbooks for class... Either way, I'm glad I've been able to read for enjoyment recently and I wanted to share some of the books that I've finished in the past few weeks.

Buy-Ology: Truth and Lies About Why We Buy
Ah, the marketing nerd in me is working full force right now. Even if you aren't into marketing you might find this book to be extremely fascinating. It is written about studies that were done in neuro-marketing. Also known as what happens in your brain that makes you want to buy something. This book was really well-written and such a fun read!


Middlesex
This book was awesome. Jeffrey Eugenides is one of my favorite authors (he wrote The Virgin Suicides which is one of my all-time favorite books) and if you've ever read one of his books you'll probably agree with me. He has the ability to tell a wildly captivating story. While I was reading this novel I would find myself thinking about it a lot. Even now that I'm finished I'm still pondering a lot of the themes in the novel. I think a book that sticks with you like that is definitely a winner. In the interest of being honest I feel like I should tell you that the subject matter of this book is somewhat disturbing. As the title suggests, this book explores many sexual taboos and is narrated by a hermaphrodite. It is an extremely eloquent book and when I got to the end I was really sad that I was finished. I'll definitely be reading this again in the future and you should give it a try too!


What have you been reading recently? Also, are any of you on GoodReads? I am, and I love it. Join on and be my friend so we can share book recommendations!

3 notes:

Tracy

Buy-Ology is on hold for me at the library! I can't wait to read it.

I am reading The Dirty Life, about living on Essex Farm, and Hunger Games for the Book Club at the high school I teach at. Both are great!

Oliviaaa

i'm going to put middlesex on my "to read" list. once this semester is over... i'll have time to enjoy a novel again!

Sharmaine Ruth

I've been looking for some new reads :) Thanks! I'll probably look more into Buy-ology though haha
<3 Sharmaine Ruth
underpeachtrees.blogspot.com

Designed by Steven Andrew.