February 1, 2012

Reading, Reading, Reading


When I was still on break from school I read a LOT. I ended up finishing four books and getting halfway through a fifth and sixth (I'll post about those soon!). In the meantime, I wanted to share my little review of the books I finished. One of the books I read was Water for Elephants and I'm pretty sure I've reviewed it before so I'll skip that one :).

The Secret Life of Bees
I read this in high school but I kind of forgot what happened so I wanted to pick it up again. This is such a wonderfully written novel and the story really stays with you when you finish it. I hate giving away too much of a story so I'll give a really vague synopsis for those of you who haven't read it before.
A young girl in a bad home situation high tails it out of town when some serious shit goes down. She winds up staying with three women in a bright pink house who completely change her life. It's a story of love, self-discovery, and tolerance. I love it!

Mental
I bought this a long time ago and was looking for something light to read so I finally picked it up. This book is a series of essays from stand-up comedian Eddie Sarfaty and is a really easy read. While I found myself laughing out loud during some of the essays, one or two of them seemed to drag on a bit. If you're looking for a quick read that will make you chuckle, this is the book for you. Nothing extraordinary, though.

Nineteen Minutes
This book is INCREDIBLE. I read it in three days and loved every minute of it. If you're looking for a book that you cannot put down, this is the book for you. It tells the story of a school shooting through many different perspectives and throughout the lives of key characters. The book is full of nerve-wracking twists and turns. Jodi Picoult is such a wonderful storyteller. I can't wait to pick up another one of her books!

Right now I'm working my way through The Gift of Fear, Eating the Dinosaur, and Brandwashed. How about you!?

xoxo
Mal

5 notes:

Tracy

I love The Secret Life of Bees! I taught it to my 9th graders two years ago. On a side note, isn't Klosterman the bomb?!

ilene @ muchloveilly

loved the movie secret life of bees! i do want to read it - and thanks for the other recs. i'm always looking for new books to read. :)

Jasmin

i LOVE 19 minutes and sat and read it and couldnt put it down!! at the end i was so torn and crying!! LOVED IT!

Malori

Girl, PREACH! That book really changed my perspective on that kind of violence. It just proves that everyone has a story. So great!

Malori

@Tracy, I lovee Klosterman. This will be the third book of his I've read. He has such an interesting outlook on life!

@Illy, The movie is great but the book is such a classic I'd definitely recommend reading it!

Designed by Steven Andrew.